Feb 9, 2021: Chi Hack Night's Second Board Election
Published on Jan 19, 2021 by Alexis Shoemaker , Eric Sherman
Stand up for democracy!
On Tuesday February 9, 2021, Chi Hack Night will hold our second election for our Board of Directors. The Chi Hack Night Board of Directors, composed of 11 members, is responsible for governing our non-profit organization, as well as running our events, managing our website, keeping the books, and doing all the other things needed to make Chi Hack Night happen.
There are a total of 6 seats up in this election. Four of them will be chosen by Chi Hack Night Members based on popular vote and two will be appointed by the current Board of Directors with majority Membership approval. All of the seats are 2 year terms, with the exception of one Board seat vacated after year 1; this seat will be filled for the remaining 1 year of the term.
Here’s a breakdown of the available seats:
|Board seat||Current director||Election status|
|Elected||Derek Eder||Incumbent is running|
|Elected||Josh Kalov||Incumbent is running|
|Elected||Katie O’Shea||Incumbent is running|
|Elected||Soren Spicknall (vacant)||Seat vacated in year 1; term for this seat will be 1 year|
|Appointed||Steve Luker||Seeking re-appointment|
|Appointed||Monique Wingard (vacant)||Not seeking re-appointment|
To vote in this election, or to run or be appointed to a Board seat, you must be a Member of Chi Hack Night prior to Tuesday February 2, 2021. If you are not sure of your membership status, email email@example.com.
Running for the Board
Are you a Member of Chi Hack Night and interested in running for the Board? Great! Here’s what you need to do:
- By Tuesday, February 2, 2021
- Confirm that you (or the person you are nominating) are a member of Chi Hack Night by reaching out to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fill out the Candidate Nomination Form. You can nominate yourself or someone else. Remember, though, they must be a Member of Chi Hack Night.
- By Friday February 5, 2021
- Fill out the Candidate Statement Form. Make your case for why you should be part of the Chi Hack Night Board. All candidate statements will be shared out publicly ahead of the election.
- On Election Night Tuesday February 9, 2021
- Be prepared with a 1-2 minute speech to deliver to members sharing why you are seeking a position on the Board.
What would my responsibilities as a Board member be?
Being on the Chi Hack Night Board of Directors is a volunteer position and we have no paid staff. All of the work of Chi Hack Night is done by the Board and other volunteers. The Board is divided up into 10 committees responsible for a core function of Chi Hack Night:
- Breakout Group Support
- Community Engagement
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Event Operations
- Fundraising and Finances
- Social Media
You will be expected to join several of these committees to support Chi Hack Night’s objectives and volunteer your time to them. In addition, you will be expected to attend or call in to 9 Board meetings a year. You will not be expected to make any financial contribution to Chi Hack Night.
Have questions about the election process? Let us know at email@example.com. Want to know what it’s like to serve on the Board? Send a Slack message to any of our current Directors and we’d be happy to share our experiences.
Yay democracy and long live Chi Hack Night! We’ll see you online for the Board election on Tuesday, February 9, 2021.
About the authors
Board Member, Chi Hack Night
Board Member, Chi Hack Night