< back to the Board of Directors
Board seat: Appointed
Term: Term: 2023 - 2025
Adam J. Hecktman helps non-profits and funders define their data strategy, use their data to impact their mission, and leverage analytics and data science to collaborate with their partners and key interested parties. He also works with commercial businesses on their Corporate Social Responsibility strategy and programming. Adam is an Adjunct Professor of Computer Science at DePaul University’s College of Computing and Digital Media and a volunteer Computer Science teacher at Austin Career & College High School on Chicago’s West Side.
Adam is a 30+ year veteran of Microsoft, spending much of that time in social impact roles. Prior to founding For Good Advisory, Adam was Director for Global Workforce Ecosystems in Microsoft Philanthropies. In this capacity, Adam worked to advance the company’s mission by making the opportunities of the rapidly evolving digital economy accessible to all people, particularly those most at risk of being left behind. He built global philanthropic partnerships focusing on helping job seekers globally remove barriers to employment in the digital economy.
Prior to this role, Adam worked in Microsoft’s Technology and Corporate Responsibility team to help Chicago’s civic leaders and the communities they serve use cutting-edge technology to solve the city’s biggest social challenges. Prior to that, Adam was the Director of the Microsoft Technology Center – Chicago, helping organizations ensure long-term success when facing their toughest business challenges and opportunities.
Adam has a Bachelor of Science in Commerce and Business Administration from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and a Master of Data Science from DePaul University. Adam is the publisher of the ChiTech For Good civic technology blogging platform, and has served his community in various capacities and appointments at non-profit, civic, commercial, and professional organizations including:
- Board of Directors and Executive Committee of The Chicago Cook Workforce Partnership
- Board of Directors of The Chicago Public Library Foundation
- Board of Directors and Advisory Board of 1871
- Board of Directors of Genesys Works Chicago
- Board of Directors for Learning & Culture Worldwide, LLC
- Advisor for the University of Illinois Information School’s Dean’s Advisory
- CivicSpace Core Advisors Council (New America)
- Board of Directors Chi Hack Night
- Technology Advisory Committee for Chicago Public Media
- Moran Center for Juvenile Justice Data & Evaluation Committee
- Leadership Council of Civic Consulting Alliance
- Founder The Chicago City Data Users Group
- Advisory Board of IT Knowledge and Abilities Network (ITKAN)
- Past Editorial board of The International Journal of Innovation Science
- Past Leadership Council of THRIVE Chicago
- Past Board of the Chicago Children’s Museum
- Computer Science Teachers’ Association Philanthropy Committee
- Past Board Chair of The Family Institute at Northwestern
A lifelong Chicagoan, Adam lives with his family in the Old Town neighborhood. He can be found on LinkedIn.