#402 Calculating and Publishing COVID-19 Adjustments to Property Reassessments
Rob Ross, Chief Data Officer, Cook County Assessor's Office
Nicole Jardine, Director of Communications, Cook County Assessor's Office
Chi Hack Nights are now remote! Now from the comfort of your self-quarantine location!
Tune into our livestream at 7pm CST every Tuesday: youtube.com/chihacknight/live
In January 2020, the Cook County Assessor’s Office (CCAO) began its reassessment of homes and commercial properties in the South and west suburbs.
In March 2020, the effects of COVID-19 were still unfolding in many ways. The Office conducted analyses, and soon made the determination to account for COVID-19’s economic effects in the south and west suburb reassessment.
In May 2020, the CCAO:
- Had harnessed sector-based estimates of unemployment to produce regional estimates of increases in unemployment throughout Cook County.
- Used regional unemployment estimates to create COVID-19 Adjustments to 2020 residential property values in the South and west suburbs, ranging from -8.0% to -15.2%.
- Published the entirety of the code and data sets used to calculate these adjustments on GitLab.
- Published a high-level report to the CCAO’s website.
- Published a dashboard to communicate this data.
The CCAO’s Chief Data Officer, Rob Ross, and Director of Communications, Nicole Jardine, will walk us through how the CCAO joined multiple departments and data sets together to produce COVID-19 Adjustments to home values – and to report on that process with transparency and clarity.
ASL This event will not have an American Sign Language interpreter.
Sponsor Chi Hack Night Community